How to wear a polo shirt to look fashionable?
The current fashion is always inspired by sports style. Now it is no longer unusual to combine white shorts with sneakers, sweaters with jackets or polo shirts with elegant trousers. In this article we will take a closer look for the last one mentioned above. We will tell you what you should pay attention to when you choose a polo shirt and how to wear it to look good.
Polo shirt – this is what you need to know about it
- The origins of polo shirts reach to the nineteenth century. Nevertheless, it gained the greatest popularity by French tennis player. We are talking about Rene Lacoste, who wore it on the court. In the 50s it used to be an integral part of preppy style, initiated by the American students from rich families.
- Polo shirts are made of cotton with a special weave, which by its look recalls the net. The inner side of the fabric is soft and gives nice hand feel , and the outer side is rough. Every T-shirt has a collar made of stiffer grade of cotton, thus it fits figure perfectly. Every T-shirt has also two or three buttons at the neck.
- Polo shirt is a very universal element of clothing. You can wear it every day or put it on more formal occasions. It is quite elegant (but not as elegant as the shirt) and straight at once, but more stylish than the ordinary t-shirt. It looks great both tucked or untucked.
- Classic polo shirt is white, but contemporary clothing brands produce it in a wide range of shades, ranging from pastels to very intense and vivid colors.
- The most popular and the most respected polo shirts are produced by: Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger and Fred Perry.
What to wear with a polo shirt?
Polo shirt can be worn in different ways. It looks great with jeans, chinos and shorts. It works well with a linen or cotton jacket with a matt finish and sweaters with round neck or V-neck. White polo shirt requires a vivid background such as red or navy blue trousers or intensive top. It is worth to remember that the raised polo collar is passé, and we advise you to avoid it. You can also wear moccasins, derby shoes or sporty shoes with a polo shirt look.